Friday, January 29, 2010

you know you're old when...



















The thought of me being 'old' echoed in my ears from the time I turned 25 and heard myself say 'these damn kids'.  True enough thoguh, I should have seen this coming at the age of 19 when I declared that R&B music just wasn't what it used to be in 1998 (and you know it's true).  Since then I've found myself classifying myself as 'An Old-Head" as Lauryn Hill coined it.  I can get down with the newer tunes, I can dance it up like a fool (yes, I dance like a fool) to the newer tunes but you best believe that to get me going, get me fanning myself from the hotness of the moment, you NEED to play old school.
To me however, old school is not the 80s, the true time of 'old school', no, it's the 90s.  Give me a tune from Total, SWV, Hi Five, Karyn White...chil, the purest of Old Schoolishfullness and I'm in it to win it from the be-gin to the finish.

At my house last night though this thought of being an 'old-head' was pushed to the forefront of my psyche as a friend of mine sat in my house and I played music..all of it old.  He's older than me so I didn't feel too bad but you best believe I felt like a grandpa in some ways.  I'm 31 now and already get depressed going to Zippers (retro on Sundays) and seeing people who like me are reliving their youth through music...OLD ASS MUSIC!  I love going because I like some of the songs from the 70s as well but every now and then I see some old man with his shirt off dancing to some wretched 70s throw back and think..this is going to be me in 20 years (with my shirt ON, thank you very much) and I can't help but leave and go home and comfort myself in a blanket.

Black don't crack but damn, I'm geting old.

No comments: