Monday, January 04, 2010

2009 Remembered - from a DJ's point of view















I was thinking about this today when I was supposed to be at work doing things.

My fave gigs of last year

Feb 14 - West End Boys - Baby Huey
This was my first gig there and completely out of the blue since I actually didn't really know anyone there at the time.  Even cooler still was  DJ Kris Steeves who recommended me even though he'd never even heard me spin before (as far as I know)!!  The vibe was great and it was such a nice change of pace from the gig I played before at Crews..(a bad night for sure).

Feb 16th - Family Day Weekend at Crews
I always loved the holiday Sundays because I got to play downstairs in the Zone...which was rare.
I had a great time, the crowd was with me all night and I think I actually got my first ovation afterwards with a one song encore!  Tres amaze.

April 9th Easter Thursday - Crews
During the the two years I worked at Crews (1.5 really) Easter Thursdays (the day before Good Friday) were my fave upstairs mostly because they were busy as all else!  The year before was busier because I was the only dancefloor available that night, this time, Foofer turned it up downstairs and got it going.

April 11th - Crews (upstairs - My last gig there)
I knew it was my last for a while, everyone who worked there knew Crews was closing on the 13th but no one said anything.  I wanted this night to be good and it really was.  The customers didn't know what was going on but they gave me a great send off!

May 8th - Battle Pop - Madonna vs Kylie
Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE Madonna and this was my first time ever getting to play as much of her as I wanted.  This was also the last time I did Battle Pop with DJ Quinces.  The night was packed, the profits were good, the vibe was excellent!

May 17th - Victoria Day Sunday - Baby Huey
This was the first holiday Sunday on my then 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' night at Baby Huey.
I'd waited two months through some pretty depressing Sundays for this one and it didn't disappoint.  Friends came out and though it wasn't crazy packed, I sure as hell played a good set as far as I can remember!

June 12th  - Battle Pop - Blond Ambition
This was my first Battle Pop by myself and it took forever to get going. I was nervous for two hours that I'd fallen on my face but it picked up and the rest is history (to me).  It was the first Lady Gaga inspired party in the village and was hot as hell! 

June 27th - Pride Run
So, I'm thanking the Lord on this one...I got to play music at the pride run this year without being rained out!
I got there, they played my Baby Huey mix before and I rushed over to the post run hold out and ended up playing for what was my biggest crowd at the time, outside, in the sun..love!

June 27th - Pride at the Barn
I had just started my first floor gig at the Barn. The first week was horrendous, the second week picked up and as a result I was added to the There Goes the Neighborhood line up for Pride Saturday.
The night before (pride Friday) was a bit of a shit show for me, up and down on my floor while there was a line up to get upstairs.  I was actually advertised on this gig so when I was added last minute to Saturday I thought it would be a disaster..especially with Larry T booked upstairs.
Chil, let me tell you this turned out to be my fave gig of the fucking year!  It was packed from the roota to the toota and I ended up extending my play from 10 to 4:25..packed from left to right on the floor for all but 40 minutes of the night.  I also played about 3 encore songs, it was so much fun and will be remembered for a good while.

July 11th  Baby Huey - West End Boys - Beyonce night
This was a last minute gig, I was called in the morning for this one and couldn't say no.  That said, I was bumped from my Barn gig last minute that week as well so this ended up being perfect since I still got to play to someone and got paid!
The night was a good one, busy and the vibe again was on point with a busy Baby Huey.

August 21st - Battle Pop - Britney
While she's not my fave artist, I'd be an ass if I didn't mention Britney Night. I'm thinking this is the most people I've DJ'd to, the biggest crowd at Battle Pop at least.  It was packed from 11 til 3am, a great ngiht that I would love all of my events to mimic, ha.

Oct 31 - Halloween at the Barn
I'd never worked Halloween before and I had my doubts about this, what with the streets being so busy.
About 20 minutes in and there was a line up long enough for people I NEVER talk to anymore to start calling me up to get in..(really?).  This went well all night and reaffirmed my love for a crowded dancefloor!

November 20th - Battle Pop - Boys Town
This one had disappointment written all over it for me.  It was my first Battle Pop with no girls featured, it was up against a last minute Lady Gaga party with all the stops pulled out and I was lucky enough to have a documentary being filmed about me that centred on this night.  I was hella worried but in the end, it was a step above decent which is about 18 steps up more than I assumed it would be...a great night!

November 28th - Gaga afterparty
While this was technically ruining my flex with my own Gaga party coming up in December that I had planned out since October, I went with it and I do believe this was the busiest the Barn had been on a Saturday since..I have no idea.  I think I heard about 950 people had come through the door by the time it was done.  A good time.

No comments: