Friday, April 09, 2010

Titans will be Titans and sometimes they Clash

















 It's no secret that there's a formula for success in the Hollywood big picture racket, there always has been. Unfortunate for us now is the formula relies less on story and more on effects than our recent past. With Avatar setting a benchmark a few short months ago for pictures showing in the third dimension, it's not hard to believe that Clash of the Titans falls short in this category. To say this movie is 2.5D is an understatement, to say I could have watched this movie after paying $3 extra without my glasses would be verging on sad truth.



Fortunately for me, I still believe in storyline being key, and when your modern movie is based on thousands of years old myth, how can you get that wrong? Clash of the Titans comes close. Sam Worthington has an innate knack for turning every character of his into an off-shoot of the means-well Terminator he first gained notoriety for, and his now trademark sometimes here/sometimes gone accent issues (A Greek demi-God with an Australian, occasionally American-inflected accent surrounded by British actors) doesn’t seem to help matters. Throw in the Indiana Jones-esque comic relief and we have enough to groan out loud about to remind one of the original screening of Behind the Green Door.

To the movies credit, it is a bona fide blockbuster, and cheese seems to be part of the package these days. I did enjoy myself once I took it out of Oscar contention in my mind and did hear a fair amount of applause after the movie finished.

All I can say is: If you are going to see this movie, save yourself the $3 you'll never get back and see it in 2D.

No comments: